Today is the 180th day of the school year (5 school days left)
From Mr. Lenney, GOVS Executive Director:
Congratulations to Greater Ohio Virtual School teacher, tutor, and Student Support Coordinator Chuck Merk for receiving the Project Excellence Award. Each year the Area Progress Council honors outstanding teachers from each school in Warren County. Teachers are nominated throughout the year and a committee selects a teacher from each district to receive the award and be honored at a ceremony at the end of the year. The banquet is currently postponed indefinitely but Mr. Merk will be recognized as the Greater Ohio Virtual Schools 2nd ever recipient of the award.
GREAT JOB Mr. Merk!
END OF SCHOOL YEAR INFORMATION
- The final day of school for the 19-20 school year is Thursday, May 28, 2020.
- Students will have until 11:59pm on Thursday, May 28, to complete the coursework on their VLA screen before the system shuts down their account.
- Any lessons left incomplete in any assigned class will be given a zero and averaged into the final grade for the class.
- No extensions will be granted.
- Required courses that are failed this year due to incomplete work may be reopened next school year, so that students may pick up where they left off.
- Hard copy report cards will be issued in mid-June, as long as the student does not owe fees to a previous district.
- Students are promoted to the next grade level to keep them with their original graduation cohort, but may be credit-deficient and have work to make-up in order to graduate on time.
- Although GOVS does not offer summer school, online courses using the same VLA curriculum are available through the Warren County Educational Service Center for a cost of $330 for the first half credit and $165 for any additional half credit completed within 90 days of enrollment. Contact your school counselor for more information -- visit the Counselor's Corner page for Mrs. Wall's and Mrs. Manchak's contact information.
IMPORTANT NOTES about Re-enrollment for next school year
- Online re-enrollment instructions will be posted to the website later this month (including course requests) and families will be notified of its availability via OneCallNow.
- The electronic re-enrollment process must be completed by June 15th. We will be operating on a waiting list from the start of the school year, so please don’t lose your spot!
- Students planning to transfer to another school must enroll there and we must receive a request for records before you can be withdrawn from GOVS.
- Returning students may keep any borrowed equipment over the summer.
- Students who do not plan to attend GOVS next year may return equipment by appointment only after June 1st. No walk-ins, please. Please call the GOVS Office @ 513.695.2924 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to setup an appointment.
- If you have any equipment that is not functioning properly, please follow the same instructions above to exchange.
The first day of school for the 20-21 school year will be Monday, August 24, 2020. Don't forget -- if you want to continue with GOVS next year, it is your responsibility to re-enroll! Stay tuned for those links.
Click on each picture to open in a separate window (you can then zoom in)
As of Thursday, 5/20, at 2:00pm, here are your daily announcements:
- Graduation! See the two pictures above!
- Make sure you see that there are only 5 days left this school year (School days, Monday through Friday). Including weekend days, there are 8 days.
- If your name is Ashton, Jayden, Dylan, Graci, Kayla, or Cameron, you might have won our April incentive contest for your VLA work! See the News Feed.
- Are you finished with all your VLA classes? Or are you close to running out? You need to let your counselor know via email (go to the Counselor's Corner webpage, the link is to the right of the Student VLA login button you use) that you need classes. If you can meet your attendance requirements by completing independent reading or documentary/film watching, there's a chance you don't need another class. But you have to let your counselor know!
- Virtual Tutoring Lab! Thanks to some awesome tutors making time during their day, we have a virtual tutoring lab for our students. You can pop-in for as long or as little as you want!
Here is the lab schedule:
Mondays from 12:00pm--2:00pm
Tuesdays from 6:00pm--8:00pm
Wednesdays from 10:00am--12:00pm
Thursdays from 3:00pm--5:00pm
How does the virtual lab work?
Please visit our GOVS Tutoring link, up under Student Resources.
**Note -- if the page says "disabled", it just means we are updating it with the Google Meet links. Refresh your browser at the lab starting time shown above**
Everything you need to know about the virtual tutoring lab will be there! The lab sessions will be 2 hours long, and you can pop-in anytime during those 2 hours, and stay as long as you want! You can do this from your Chromebook or even from your smart phone. See the GOVS Tutoring page (up top under Student Resources, the 2nd option).
- GOVS Counselor Mrs. Wall has put together a page of resources for our students and their families. CLICK HERE to access our COVID-19 Info Page.
- Thank you to everyone who has emailed, texted, or called us. We are doing our best to reply to all messages. With us not being in the office, we are a true virtual school. As a reminder, we can process everything virtually:
- Transcript Requests
- Work Permits
- Adding more classes if you finish your current schedule of classes
- See #6 below for more info.
- The GOVS Office is CLOSED until further notice. You can still call us (513-695-2924) and leave a message. You can send a quick text to 513-409-1879. Or you can email us (email@example.com). But the physical office is closed. We will do our best to get back to you as soon as we can.
- If you need a Work Permit, we have the capabilities to take care of that virtually. Click on Student Resources up top, then the 3rd option, then follow the instructions listed under Work Permits. Once you have both forms completed, text us at 513.409.1879 for further instructions. Or you can email us your completed Work Permit (scanned copy or cell phone picture) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you have any other form that needs to be filled out, you can either email us (email@example.com) or send a text message to 513.409.1879 with your question.
We will continue to post GOVS updates via this announcement box.
Here is a message from Mr. Barot:
Dear GOVS students and Parents,
The Corona Virus has dominated the news and our way of life. School district leaders are following direction from our state officials and are gathering to conduct plans on how to move forward.
Most universities are converting to online curriculum and brick and mortar schools are also discussing this option for implementation (if needed).
Our students have the advantage of being enrolled with an established and successful on line school. GOVS students are expected to continue the WEEKLY requirement of TWENTY FIVE hours of instruction and completion of FIVE academic lessons. The virus has played havoc with our testing schedule. We will keep you updated with changes made with testing dates, times and locations.
All school information and updates will be posted on our homepage (www.mygovs.com). We will also use all of our communication tools to get the word out.
Please use caution when you are out in public and continue to wash those hands.
Thank you for reviewing this message. Take care of your loved ones during this outbreak.
Principal- Greater Ohio Virtual School