This page is designed to help GOVS students with their Independent Reading. Every student has an Independent Reading class in VLA where they can track their weekly hours of reading. This goes towards your 25 hour a week minimum.
--> Here's 10 reasons why Everyone Should Read <--
Option #1: GOVS Article of the Week
It's election season -- Election Day is coming up next month on November 3, 2020. I don't know about you, but I'm sure sick of all the commercials on TV -- they are all negative it seems! Here's a neat article about an astronaut voting in SPACE!
CLICK HERE to read an article about special voting up in the International Space Station.
After you read the article, answer the following three questions in the Description box of your log entry in the Independent Reading class.
- Who is the audience?
- What is the author's purpose?
- Write a quick summary paragraph (at least four sentences) on the article.
Option #2: Choose an archived article
Need some reading ideas? The link below takes you to a website where there are four years of archived weekly articles.
- Choose an article that interests you.
- Click on the article title (between the quotation marks). Ignore any questions above the article.
- Read the article
- At the end of the article, there are some Possible Response Questions. Choose one of the questions, and answer in the Description box of your log entry in the Independent Reading class.
ARTICLE OF THE WEEK ARCHIVE