This page is designed to help GOVS students with their Independent Reading. Every student has an Independent Reading class in VLA where they can track their weekly hours of reading. This goes towards your 25 hour a week minimum.
Why should you read? CLICK HERE to see.
Option #1: GOVS Article of the Week
When you are at home, do you ever text your parent/guardian instead of calling out for them? Or do they text you? Here is an interesting article that you should read: "Are you texters or yellers? Many families turn to texting at home to talk".
After you read the article, answer the following three questions in the Description box of your log entry in the Independent Reading class.
- Who is the audience?
- What is the author's purpose?
- Write a quick summary paragraph (at least four sentences) on the article.
Option #2: Choose an archived article
Need some reading ideas? The link below takes you to a website where there are four years of archived weekly articles.
- Choose an article that interests you.
- Click on the article title (between the quotation marks). Ignore the 3 questions above the article.
- Read the article
- At the end of the article, there are three Possible Response Questions. Choose one of the questions, and answer in the Description box of your log entry in the Independent Reading class.
ARTICLE OF THE WEEK ARCHIVE