This page is designed to help GOVS students with their Independent Reading. Every student has an Independent Reading class in VLA where they can track their weekly hours of reading. This goes towards your 25 hour a week minimum.
Why should you read? CLICK HERE to see.
Option #1: GOVS Article of the Week
Read the article about the Mars Opportunity Rover and how it was officially declared "dead" on 2/13/19.
Answer the following three questions in the Description box of your log entry in the Independent Reading class.
- Who is the audience?
- What is the author's purpose?
- Write a quick summary paragraph (at least four sentences) on the article.
Option #2: Choose an archived article
Need some reading ideas? The link below takes you to a website where there are four years of archived weekly articles.
- Choose an article that interests you.
- Click on the article title (between the quotation marks). Ignore the 3 questions above the article.
- Read the article
- At the end of the article, there are three Possible Response Questions. Choose one of the questions, and answer in the Description box of your log entry in the Independent Reading class.
ARTICLE OF THE WEEK ARCHIVE